How UX Designers can help solve Sustainability Challenges – UXIC
Agenda: Sustainability UX Design
- Defining an agenda for Practical Sustainability UX Design
- Where UX Design adds value to Sustainability challenges
- Assessing Impact: social, motivational, sustainable, long-term use
- Data and implications from a Case Study bringing UX, Service Design, and Systems Thinking to sustainability key design questions.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
User Experience Design is making a wider impact in business and government overall than it has in the preceding 40 years. Critical to “updating” the UX field with the global challenges facing 2020-2050, UX needs a clearly articulated role in the problem-solving puzzle of sustainability. UX Designers need a tangible role and set of tools and skills to be “useful” to addressing sustainability issues.
Because Sustainability challenges involve humans (humans are the main problem generally with climate collapse), new approaches to Human-Centered Design or ‘Planet-centered design’ are being developed, but as with Inclusive Design and Ethics in UX Design, they need to be operationalized and systematically included in Design Thinking and design projects moving forward.
In this webinar, we will explore how UX Designs can play a pivotal role in bringing person-centered, community-centered, and planet-centered approaches to their work. Specifically, we will cover how to understand sustainability tangibly (not the philosophical idea we all agree on, ‘now get back to work’). Frank Spillers will show how we can add value and impact to sustainability design challenges and illustrate the potential through a case study involving UX, Service Design, and Systems Thinking to an everyday sustainability challenge that customers deal with in the home.
The UX Inner Circle is a professional learning community with a program of monthly events for UX researchers and designers, managers, and directors practicing UX and Service Design. We are a small group of 50+ UX and Service Designers, Directors, and Researchers currently 100% working in UX. Attendees come from orgs like Harvard, Google, IBM, Accenture, Deloitte, Capital One, US Bank, healthcare, government, and non-profits. So why join?
- Refine or expand your current skills– push the boundaries of your learning.
- Get advice and guidance: Put a top-performing UX expert (Frank Spillers, CEO of award-winning UX firm Experience Dynamics and top instructor at Interaction Design Foundation) in your pocket. Stay connected with the latest on what Frank is thinking and prioritizing in UX and Service Design.
- Ask anything to other UXIC colleagues on a dedicated private Slack channel. Also, collaborate during monthly meet-ups (Masterclasses).
- Get a promotion at work or upgrade your skills, portfolio, or process knowledge. This is the #1 reason folks keep subscribing to the UX Inner Circle.
Ready to Join the UXIC?
Membership includes access to ALL monthly event recordings and more (going back 20 years of Frank’s UX career). 150+ recordings. Monthly live meet-ups (Masterclass topics) and workshops (every other month). Miniclasses (short webinars) and access to longer webinars Frank provides with his UX firm Experience Dynamics.
Financial inclusiveness membership: USD$49 per month for Nonprofit-Student- or you live in the Global South/ Emerging Market (.org; .edu)
Regular membership: USD$99 Individual per month
20% discount on Annual Price; switch anytime, cancel anytime.
Review the Pricing Options
***THIS EVENT IS FREE WITH UX INNER CIRCLE MEMBERSHIP***