Masterclass: Emotion Design for UX Differentiation
MARCH 16TH 9:00AM PDT; 12:00PM EDT; 4:00 PM GMT; 8:30 PM IST
NOTE: In the US? You should be one hour ahead with Daylight Savings Time.
- Cost: Buy this course and attend it live or get the recording for only $100** USD:
- Free for UX Inner Circle Members–Join now, cancel anytime
How does emotion design differentiate UX?
UX has a bias for ignoring emotion. Why? First, Cognitive Science (the field UX comes from) only recognized emotion as an aspect of cognition in the field in the 1980s. This left a legacy of downplaying the value or significance of emotion in UX research, measurement, and design approaches. For example, it took the grandfather of Human Centered Design (Don Norman) over a decade to discover emotion, which led to a book on the topic in 2003. His business partner (Jakob Nielsen), seems to have ignored the topic entirely, opting for the strong utilitarian instinct that drives UX: Usability (ease of use). Usability assumes that emotion (joy of use) is a frivolous or a “highly subjective” data point worth noticing but not serious enough to build into the design or measurement process. This Masterclass challenges that.
Next, there is a belief among many UX practitioners that emotion is too intangible and difficult to represent or measure. All of these assumptions are incorrect, according to current research and UX practitioners who design using emotion as a tool for differentiation.
Finally, since scientists have proven with fMRI (functional magnetic resonance imaging) scans that emotion drives almost every decision (there is no such thing as pure “rational” thinking), paying attention to emotion is critical for differentiated UX design. Emotion plays a role in not just how users rate your satisfaction survey or NPS, but how they navigate your design. Designs with more deliberate emotions that help users and leave lasting impressions differentiate.
Differentiating UX is critical now more than ever
This Masterclass centers around understanding the key principles and approaches of emotion design with an aim to incorporating them into your work. In this recent VR metaverse design workshop, we saw how emotion as a design tool is critical. From B2C to B2B and B2E experiences, this masterclass will show you emotion as a design tool you actively work with, design for, test for, and measure on an ongoing basis.
Frank Spillers will share his emotion framework based on peer-reviewed experiments, design challenges, and approaches to making emotion design practical he developed on client projects over 25 years at his UX consultancy Experience Dynamics.
Topics this Emotion Design masterclass will cover:
- What are the key principles of Emotion Design?
- What is emotional value and how can you build it into your UX design strategy?
- How to design not just for emotion- but with emotion as the affordance
- Defining your emotion design strategy
- Practical emotion design- ROI case; Techniques; Measurement
About Monthly MasterClasses:
These monthly meet-ups are topic-driven live events with an informal presentation by Frank Spillers and group activities and discussions. Monthly MasterClasses are included as part of your membership. They allow a deep dive into important UX topics, with insights drawn from process best practices and case studies from Frank’s two decades in the field.
Not a member? $100
Members: FREE…join the UX Inner Circle to get this and enjoy access to $10,385 worth of value- recording trainings from 20 years of Frank Spillers’ work.
Buy this Emotion Design Masterclass and get it live + the recording for only $100** USD:
The UX Inner Circle is a professional learning community with a program of monthly events for UX researchers and designers, managers, and directors practicing UX and Service Design. We are a small group of 50+ UX and Service Designers, Directors, and Researchers currently 100% working in UX. Attendees come from orgs like Harvard, Google, IBM, Accenture, Deloitte, Capital One, US Bank, healthcare, government, and non-profits. So why join?
- Refine or expand your current skills– push the boundaries of your learning.
- Get advice and guidance: Put a top-performing UX expert (Frank Spillers, CEO of award-winning UX firm Experience Dynamics and top instructor at Interaction Design Foundation) in your pocket. Stay connected with the latest on what Frank is thinking and prioritizing in UX and Service Design.
- Ask anything to other UXIC colleagues on a dedicated private Slack channel. Also, collaborate during monthly meet-ups (Masterclasses).
- Get a promotion at work or upgrade your skills, portfolio, or process knowledge. This is the #1 reason folks keep subscribing to the UX Inner Circle.
Ready to Join the UXIC?
Membership includes access to ALL monthly event recordings and more (going back 20 years of Frank’s UX career). 150+ recordings. Monthly live meet-ups (Masterclass topics) and workshops (every other month). Miniclasses (short webinars) and access to longer webinars Frank provides with his UX firm Experience Dynamics.
Financial inclusiveness membership: USD$49 per month for Nonprofit-Student- or you live in the Global South/ Emerging Market (.org; .edu)
Regular membership: USD$99 Individual per month
20% discount on Annual Price; switch anytime, cancel anytime.
Review the Pricing Options
***THIS EVENT IS FREE WITH UX INNER CIRCLE MEMBERSHIP***