Story prototyping the Metaverse workshop: Designing a compelling immersive 3D experience
DECEMBER 13th 8:00AM PST; 11:00AM EST; 4:00PM GMT; 5:00 PM CET; 8:30 PM IST
3 hours (Part 1 of 2) total 6 hrs
- Cost: Buy this course and get recording for only $100** USD:
- Free for UX Inner Circle Members–Join now, cancel anytime
Join Frank Spillers for this fun-packed and highly-rated workshop on building Metaverses worth visiting.
Here’s the bottom line on the metaverse: Your metaverse experiences won’t make a lasting impact if they are not emotionally compelling and engaging. The secret to doing this by using storytelling. In this two part workshop, 3D UX veteran Frank Spillers will teach you how to prototype for immersive experiences.
Storytelling skills are critical for UX design in 3D. This applies to all immersive media and audiences: AR as well as VR, and to B2B as well as B2C. Immersive media offers an evolutionary shift building on our love of stories in traditional media (movies and books). Traditional storytelling exists in a third-person “UI”. You can’t see through your own eyes (unless that rare storyteller is so skilled they get you to totally imagine being there). Instead, immersive first-person storytelling, according to research, changes how we experience information. Story activates the potential to change perspectives and our experience with the immersive content. Story is also how we activate our user’s imaginations which this spatial (3D) technology.
This workshop teaches you how to design using storytelling as your UI medium. The focus is on prototyping with storytelling or “story-prototyping” in order to maximize the potential of immersive technology and content and to give users a great experience. By great experience, we mean one worth their time, one they will tell friends about, and one that changes them for that moment or forever. One of the premises of this workshop is: if your metaverse content is going to be relevant, it has to be emotionally compelling and engaging.
If you want to learn how to design for AR or VR, take this workshop. Frank Spillers is one of the few instructors on the planet teaching intermediate to advanced UX design for immersive 3D. He has been working on this topic for 25 years and teaching it in workshops and online with the Interaction Design Foundation to over 30,000 students for the past six years.
Topics we will cover in this workshop:
- Metaverse beyond the hype: immersive experience design guidelines
- The immersive 3D interface toolkit: supporting spatial cognition
- The story arc and emotional engagement in VR vs. AR
- Constructing an “immersive story prototype” for VR/AR experiences.
- Social VR: designing for inclusion, safety and emotion
About UX Inner Circle Workshops:
These workshops are live events with an informal presentation by Frank Spillers and group activities and discussions, with a more hands-on experience to learning the material presented. Online workshops are included as part of your UX Inner Circle membership. They allow a deep study of UX topics, with insights drawn from process best practices and case studies from Frank Spillers two decades in the field.
Not a member? $100
Members: FREE…join the UX Inner Circle to get this and enjoy access to $10,385 worth of value- recording trainings from 20 years of Frank Spillers’ work.
Buy this course and get recording for only $100** USD:
The UX Inner Circle is a professional learning community with a program of monthly events for UX researchers and designers, managers, and directors practicing UX and Service Design. We are a small group of currently 50 UX and Service Designers, Directors, and Researchers currently 100% working in UX. Attendees come from orgs like Harvard, Google, IBM, Accenture, Deloitte, Capital One, US Bank, healthcare, government, and non-profits. So why join?
- Refine or expand your current skills– push the boundaries of your learning.
- Get advice and guidance: Put a top-performing UX expert (Frank Spillers, CEO of award-winning UX firm Experience Dynamics and top instructor at Interaction Design Foundation) in your pocket. Stay connected with the latest on what Frank is thinking and prioritizing in UX and Service Design.
- Ask anything to other UXIC colleagues on a dedicated private Slack channel. Also, collaborate during monthly meet-ups (Masterclasses).
- Get a promotion at work or upgrade your skills, portfolio, or process knowledge. This is the #1 reason folks keep subscribing to the UX Inner Circle.
Ready to Join the UXIC?
Membership includes access to ALL monthly event recordings and more (going back 20 years of Frank’s UX career). 150+ recordings. Monthly live meet-ups (Masterclass topics) and workshops (every other month). Miniclasses (short webinars) and access to longer webinars Frank provides with his UX firm Experience Dynamics.
Financial inclusiveness membership: USD$49 per month for Nonprofit-Student- or you live in the Global South/ Emerging Market (.org; .edu)
Regular membership: USD$99 Individual per month
20% discount on Annual Price; switch anytime, cancel anytime.
***THIS EVENT IS FREE WITH UX INNER CIRCLE MEMBERSHIP***