Interface consistency- the case for and against consistency
July 27th 8:00AM PST; 11:00AM EST; 4:00 PM BST; 5:00PM CET; 8:30 PM IST
30 minutes (brief overview, brief activity, Q&A)
Consistency in a design is touted as one of the most important UX principles. Why? Because consistency helps users reinforce learning and familiarity with an interface. Consistency is important. However, consistency can be used as an excuse to under-innovate from a UI design perspective. To be clear, consistency creates design conservatism versus risky UI patterns, and that’s fine until it isn’t.
This Miniclass dives into the power of consistency and opens up a discussion of how, why, and when to break with consistency strategically. Understanding consistency without usability dogma is essential for UX goals, user advocacy, and creativity at the UI and Visual Design levels.
Topics we will cover in the Miniclass:
- Consistency- what is it good for?
- Breaking with the tyranny of consistency
- Measuring consistency & de-risking novel UI’s
A brief, but deep-dive into a topic, led by Frank Spillers. The sessions provide an orientation to key points on a topic. The sessions are FREE to members of the UX Inner Circle.
Not a member? $10 (30 min plus recording). VALUE of $49.
Members: FREE…join the UX Inner Circle to get this and enjoy access to $10,385 worth of value- recording trainings from 20 years of Frank Spillers’ work.
The UX Inner Circle is a professional learning community with a program of monthly events for UX researchers and designers, managers, and directors practicing UX and Service Design. We are a small group of currently 50 UX and Service Designers, Directors, and Researchers currently 100% working in UX. Attendees come from orgs like Harvard, Google, IBM, Accenture, Deloitte, Capital One, US Bank, healthcare, government, and non-profits. So why join?
- Refine or expand your current skills– push the boundaries of your learning.
- Get advice and guidance: Put a top-performing UX expert (Frank Spillers, CEO of award-winning UX firm Experience Dynamics and top instructor at Interaction Design Foundation) in your pocket. Stay connected with the latest on what Frank is thinking and prioritizing in UX and Service Design.
- Ask anything to other UXIC colleagues on a dedicated private Slack channel. Also, collaborate during monthly meet-ups (Masterclasses).
- Get a promotion at work or upgrade your skills, portfolio, or process knowledge. This is the #1 reason folks keep subscribing to the UX Inner Circle.
Ready to Join the UXIC?
Membership includes access to ALL monthly event recordings and more (going back 20 years of Frank’s UX career). 150+ recordings. Monthly live meet-ups (Masterclass topics) and workshops (every other month). Miniclasses (short webinars) and access to longer webinars Frank provides with his UX firm Experience Dynamics.
Financial inclusiveness membership: USD$49 per month for Nonprofit-Student- or you live in the Global South/ Emerging Market (.org; .edu)
Regular membership: USD$99 Individual per month
20% discount on Annual Price; switch anytime, cancel anytime.
***THIS EVENT IS FREE WITH UX INNER CIRCLE MEMBERSHIP***